Friday 30th June 2023
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
We are staging a unique event, specifically for the people of Ceredigion, of contemporary music combining singers, musicians and participants from the area joined by some major Welsh players.
The piece we have chosen, Cornelius Cardew’s “The Great Learning: Paragraph 3”, is particularly suited for singers and players (of double basses) from the local community.
- It is extremely simple to sing or play, and is accessible to everyone
- You do not need to be able to read music
- Rehearsals will not be required so your time commitment is minimal
- Preparation amounts to a talk through of the instructions during the performance
- Anyone can be part of the performance if they wish
- There are only three lines of lyrics but you can choose what tempo and words to sing to discover your own singing self and how you interact with others.
- Cardew instructs the singer to use their natural, comfortable voice
- Lyrics will be bilingual as the form lends itself to multiple languages being used
- Performance will be ‘in the round’ but the audience will be surrounded by the players and singers
The emphasis of this piece is self-discovery through music within a community; what part can you play by doing something very simple and then making something profound
Further information and how to join us
This is the link to the project: Gwrandewch! – Lyndon Owen